Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Bad: Missing a viral marketing opportunity because you didn't post your commercial on YouTube

I had a "Banner Bank moment" today and much to my dismay, when I tried to share the concept with my friend who's on the East Coast, there was no reference to the commercial that I could find online. For anyone who lives in the PNW (and doesn't have cable, like me) you've surely seen the Banner Bank commercials. They tell how we're all connected in one way or another using a story that showcases their different clients and the unique connections that create a network.

I've been engaged in an ongoing conversation with my new bud Jeremy about building community in a Web2.0 world. While Banner may think they are focused on the PNW and thus only need to reach that market, they don't realize they miss a huge opportunity by not posting their already produced commercials on the Web (at a minimum on their Website). Had I sent the link to Jeremy, and he use their example to make a point in his blog, it's highly possible that others would pick it up and either blog about it or email it. The chances that someone in the PNW would see it- possibly someone that hasn't seen their commercials- are pretty good.

That's one way viral buzz happens. I'm not sure Banner Bank could have created viral buzz simply by posting, but by not making the clips available online, they surely missed an opportunity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those spots are really good. I'm surprised they aren't on YouTube.